Huawei will reportedly launch its new flagship phone, the 5G-capable , next month despite it being unlikely that Android and Google apps can be used on the device. The temporary reprieve on Huawei’s US ban to award licenses doesn’t apply to new Huawei products, a Google spokesperson reportedly told Reuters Wednesday.
But US companies will be able to sell equipment to Huawei, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross confirmed in July, if they get licenses when there’s no threat to national security. The reprieve has reportedly seen .
The phones will be announced on Sep. 18, Reuters said.
Last week, Huawei Senior Vice President Vincent Pang said the company has no plans to launch a phone with its Harmony operating system this year, because for now.
Google, Huawei and the Department of Commerce didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.